Information on Passports for Children

Every minor traveling overseas, even infants, must have a valid passport. Check your local post office for appointment or walk in times and see below for tips on applying.

1. Passports for children under age 16 are only valid for 5 years.

2. Children under 16, including infants, must apply in person with their parents or legal guardians.

3. Both parents or legal guardians must authorize issuance of the child’s U.S. passport and both must appear in person to apply. 

4. If one parent or guardian cannot apply in person, either Form DS-3053 MUST be submitted with the child’s U.S. passport application OR the applying parent MUST submit documentation on the non-applying parent such as a certified court order granting sole legal custody or a death certificate. If none of the above documentation is available, complete item 5, Statement of Special Circumstances on form DS-3053. The statement must explain the non-applying parent’s unavailability and recent efforts to contact him or her.

5. Please visit for more information.